The Rat Token is a miscellaneous item that can be found in the Nightmare. It can be found from various sources and locations throughout The Nightmare including but not limited to:
- Being harvested from End of the Road, Fish Hall, Inside, Maze of Roots, Meeting Place, Pitfall, The Deli, The Grand Hall, The Hidden Library, The Mansion, The Old Cave, The Old Mansion, The Plant Room, The Supermarket, The Theatre, and The Vault.
In appearance, the Rat Token is a hexagon-shaped token with a Ratboy portrait engraved into the coin. Rat Tokens can be used to progress the Nightmare's storyline since the player will need to collect at least 500 of them to access the Waiting Room. Players can also collect all of the tokens to receive 1 Fantastic Ratboy during the Giant Ratfolk Quest.
If the players were to die, they will lose these tokens upon death. Even if the players had lost Rat Tokens in the past and can't be acquired again, these lost tokens will count towards The Vault's completion requirement as well as the requirement to acquire the Fantastic Ratboy collectible. For instance, if the players needed 500 Rat Tokens and they lost 440 of these tokens, the only thing they need to do is to collect 60 more tokens whether they have them or not. These Rat Tokens are counted as long as they have been collected once.
Below is a video showing the location of all Rat Tokens at the current moment.
- Rat Tokens can stack on top of other Rat Tokens.
- It was possible to see uncollectable Rat Tokens on Ollie Ozzwald's stand in Topple Town. However, this was removed on an unknown date.
- The decal of the Rat Tokens went through numerous changes during development before the developers settled on the appearance that we now know today.
- There are a total of 780 Rat Tokens in the entirety of the Nightmare.